PHOENIX — As a licensed professional counselor, Victoria Steele believes in the power of treatment.
“When someone is in crisis and they’re a teenager it can get really bad, as we have seen, if it’s not caught,” Steele said.
As a state representative, Steele believes smart public policy should include a commitment to mental health awareness and training. She recently introduced House Bill 2490, the Youth Mental Health First Aid Bill. It would set aside $250,000 to provide training for parents, teachers, coaches and others who work with children ages 12 to 18.
“This is not to make people counselors but to provide more awareness, so they can identify and tell when someone is having a mental health crisis and how to intervene and how to get them the right help, if needed,” said Steele.
Last year, Steele worked to get $250,000 to expand mental health training for adults. Now, she believes it’s important to offer the same tools to help young people.
“This is a preventative step. We need to do this,” she said.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns