PHOENIX — While President Barack Obama is talking to Congress on Tuesday, Arizona State University senior Jordan Hibbs will be tweeting.
She is among 100 social media users invited to watch the speech from the White House and then take part in a discussion with presidential policy advisers.
“We’ll be tweeting throughout the whole thing,” Hibbs said. “Being able to reach those who may not have even heard about it, I think, is really important because I think social media can connect a lot of people who may not have been actively watching the news.”
Hibbs would like to hear the president address education, student debt and pay equality.
“As a senior about to graduate, it’s tough still seeing there’s still a difference between men and women when it seems like we’re all getting the same degrees and the same skills so why is it we’re leaving college and basically have differ values on the job market?”
Hibbs plans to ask her Twitter followers via her account, @jordanahibbs, for their input. White House policy advisors will also take questions from Twitter users taking part in the discussion using the hashtag #SOTUSocial as well as Facebook users.
Hibbs said she applied and was also selected last year to live tweet during the State of the Union with about 100 other people.
Participants are responsible for their own travel and lodging accommodations.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns