PHOENIX — A new USA Basketball facility that will break ground soon is expected to bring both jobs and excitement to Tempe.
“We’re looking forward to making the move to Tempe,” Craig Miller with USA Basketball told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Bruce St. James Show on Monday.
The new 20,000-sqaure-foot facility at University and Mill is scheduled to open in 2016. It not only will house the organization’s offices, but retail stores, high school administration offices and housing.
“It’s a really impressive, large development,” said Miller, adding that a nearby hotel and convention center are also in the works.
The new home of USA Basketball should put a lot of people to work, both during construction and upon completion.
“Once the facility is built, the opportunities for employment are going to be outstanding,” said Miller. “Obviously, it’s going to employ a lot of people to build all these buildings as well.”
But the facility is bringing more than jobs. Miller said it has employees of the non-profit excited.
“More exciting for the USA Basketball staff is the creation of some courts and the ability to hold a seating capacity in the 4,000 to 5,000 range for some of our events,” he said.
The additional room will allow USA Basketball to focus on something it has wanted to for a long time: The development of all youth basketball players, not just the stand-outs.
“We’re starting now a new youth division which will be more oriented to the non-elite player, if you will,” said Miller. “Just the ordinary player who wants to get better and learn fundamentals and there will be clinics and opportunities for improvement for both coaches and for players at that age group.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night