PHOENIX — A new USA Basketball facility that will break ground soon is expected to bring both jobs and excitement to Tempe.
“We’re looking forward to making the move to Tempe,” Craig Miller with USA Basketball told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Bruce St. James Show on Monday.
The new 20,000-sqaure-foot facility at University and Mill is scheduled to open in 2016. It not only will house the organization’s offices, but retail stores, high school administration offices and housing.
“It’s a really impressive, large development,” said Miller, adding that a nearby hotel and convention center are also in the works.
The new home of USA Basketball should put a lot of people to work, both during construction and upon completion.
“Once the facility is built, the opportunities for employment are going to be outstanding,” said Miller. “Obviously, it’s going to employ a lot of people to build all these buildings as well.”
But the facility is bringing more than jobs. Miller said it has employees of the non-profit excited.
“More exciting for the USA Basketball staff is the creation of some courts and the ability to hold a seating capacity in the 4,000 to 5,000 range for some of our events,” he said.
The additional room will allow USA Basketball to focus on something it has wanted to for a long time: The development of all youth basketball players, not just the stand-outs.
“We’re starting now a new youth division which will be more oriented to the non-elite player, if you will,” said Miller. “Just the ordinary player who wants to get better and learn fundamentals and there will be clinics and opportunities for improvement for both coaches and for players at that age group.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier