PHOENIX — A new USA Basketball facility that will break ground soon is expected to bring both jobs and excitement to Tempe.
“We’re looking forward to making the move to Tempe,” Craig Miller with USA Basketball told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Bruce St. James Show on Monday.
The new 20,000-sqaure-foot facility at University and Mill is scheduled to open in 2016. It not only will house the organization’s offices, but retail stores, high school administration offices and housing.
“It’s a really impressive, large development,” said Miller, adding that a nearby hotel and convention center are also in the works.
The new home of USA Basketball should put a lot of people to work, both during construction and upon completion.
“Once the facility is built, the opportunities for employment are going to be outstanding,” said Miller. “Obviously, it’s going to employ a lot of people to build all these buildings as well.”
But the facility is bringing more than jobs. Miller said it has employees of the non-profit excited.
“More exciting for the USA Basketball staff is the creation of some courts and the ability to hold a seating capacity in the 4,000 to 5,000 range for some of our events,” he said.
The additional room will allow USA Basketball to focus on something it has wanted to for a long time: The development of all youth basketball players, not just the stand-outs.
“We’re starting now a new youth division which will be more oriented to the non-elite player, if you will,” said Miller. “Just the ordinary player who wants to get better and learn fundamentals and there will be clinics and opportunities for improvement for both coaches and for players at that age group.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon