PHOENIX — A Canadian man died Friday while base jumping in the Little Colorado River Canyon in northern Arizona, officials said in a press release.
The Coconino County Sheriff’s Office said it received a call about 5:30 p.m. that the victim, identified as 41-year-old David Stather, was missing. His friends said Stather was attempting a second jump when he died.
Stather was found about 2,000 feet from the top of the canyon. He was wearing both a “wing suit” and a parachute. Officials said Stather was killed by a fall.
His body was removed Saturday, as there was insufficient light to recover it Friday.
Stather was a respiratory therapist and surgeon in Calgary, Canada.
The Little Colorado River is one of the largest tributaries to the Grand Canyon.
County officials are investigating the incident.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.