PHOENIX — A Phoenix civil rights activist who had demanded that Arizona State University students be expelled after attending a racially offensive off-campus fraternity party has changed course.
The Rev. Jarrett Maupin said in a statement Monday that he had reconsidered his position and that the stripping of privileges and banishment from campus of Tau Kappa Epsilon was the right thing to do, but called for “second chances for (individuals).”
The chapter was permanently revoked last week, days after hosting a party “celebrating” Martin Luther King Jr. Day, the theme of which included “dressing like black people.”
Maupin learned of the Jan. 19 party from a student who had attended and immediately informed ASU President Michael Crow. By Jan. 23 the chapter was given the boot, but Maupin had also sought the expulsions of the student involved.
In reconsidering that stance, Maupin said in his statement:
In his 1963 “Letter from a Birmingham Jail”, the Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. asked a poignant and relevant question that can still guide us to the moral high-ground: “Will we be extremists for hate or for love?”
… Let creative extremism guide us in the high-calling of civil rights work, inspire us to keep building a “New American University” free of racism, to embrace and affirm diversity, and transform ASU into MLK’s vision of a “beloved community.”
Students, this is your mountaintop-moment, don’t fail us or yourselves.
Crow said last week one of the school’s “essential responsibilities” was to teach and nurture integrity.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.