PHOENIX — Being Arizona’s largest city isn’t enough to land a new company. Suburbs are attracting more companies with promises to waive fees, help covers the costs of streets and water lines and provide job training. Recent examples include Chandler offering eBay and PayPal up to $5 million in incentives while Goodyear offered $1.5 million to Dick’s Sporting Goods.
A report that Phoenix council members will review this week calls for the city to create a formal plan to attract more businesses and jobs.
The four key strategies:
Invest in strategic land use planning and make capital infrastructure improvements in major employment corridors to enhance the inventory of ready-to-build employment locations
Commit resources to job training
Cultivate entrepreneurship and emerging enterprises
Pursue redevelopment at strategic site locations throughout the city
Develop new marketing strategies to sell Phoenix
According to the report, Phoenix’s Economic Development Department has helped more than 110 companies locate or expand operations in the city over the past three years. The city says the companies created more than 11,600 jobs with an average annual salary of $34,900.
Between 2007 and 2010, the Valley lost a quarter million jobs. So far, nearly half have been regained. Phoenix’s plan calls for spending $10-15 million a year and four staff members to support programs to attract businesses.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas