PHOENIX — Who doesn’t love a witty, personalized license plate?
However, Harold Sanders with the Arizona Department of Transportation wants to remind drivers it’s illegal to make any changes to an Arizona license plate on your own.
“You cannot change, alter the design of an Arizona license plate, at all,” Sanders said.
There are stiff fines and penalties for people who add or take away from their plates using paint, tape, stickers or anything that alters the plate.
Police will pull you over, and it is a misdemeanor, according to Sanders.
There are 50 different designs available for your license plate, should you want to add your own personal flair.
“There really isn’t a need for someone to try to be creative and add something else to a particular plate,” he said. “We’ve got a wide variety of very beautiful license plates.
Once you’ve added a sticker or tape, it’ll likely ruin the plate if you then try to take it off.
And there are stiff fines and penalties for offenders, he said.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier