An employment company is optimistic about Arizona after the state’s unemployment rate dropped two-tenths of a point to 7.8 percent in December.
The Robert Half Company believes the news is even better if you have a college degree.
“Unemployment rates for those individuals are roughly half, if not even lower, than the general market,” said Brett Good, the senior Arizona district president for Robert Half.
But there could be more jobs opening up in the long term. Good’s firm estimates that a lot of people will be retiring over the next 20 years.
“You’ve got about 10,000 baby boomers that are reaching 65 years old every day for the next two decades nationwide,” Good said. “You’re going to have an exodus of employees that are leaving the market.”
Good said that today’s young people need the skills to replace them.
“Communications skills, software skills, technical skills, etc.,” said Good. “We just need to ensure that we’re doing a good job preparing our youth for the requirements of the future.”
A recent study by an organization called the Hay Group says that the number of retired people is expected to jump nearly 13 percent nationwide in 2014.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development