An employment company is optimistic about Arizona after the state’s unemployment rate dropped two-tenths of a point to 7.8 percent in December.
The Robert Half Company believes the news is even better if you have a college degree.
“Unemployment rates for those individuals are roughly half, if not even lower, than the general market,” said Brett Good, the senior Arizona district president for Robert Half.
But there could be more jobs opening up in the long term. Good’s firm estimates that a lot of people will be retiring over the next 20 years.
“You’ve got about 10,000 baby boomers that are reaching 65 years old every day for the next two decades nationwide,” Good said. “You’re going to have an exodus of employees that are leaving the market.”
Good said that today’s young people need the skills to replace them.
“Communications skills, software skills, technical skills, etc.,” said Good. “We just need to ensure that we’re doing a good job preparing our youth for the requirements of the future.”
A recent study by an organization called the Hay Group says that the number of retired people is expected to jump nearly 13 percent nationwide in 2014.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns