PHOENIX — A state representative is hoping to create a larger pool of tech-savvy professionals to fill the growing demand for qualified workers with computer science backgrounds.
“We want to create the workforce of tomorrow and the way you do that is being investing in our students today,” said Ruben Gallego, D-Phoenix.
The bill would allow school to implement an option for students to take a computer science course that would fulfill a math requirement. The course would involve a high level of mathematics instruction combined with computer coding.
According to Gallego, the bill is getting positive feedback from the business community. “They realize the jobs of the future are in computer and computer technology industries and Arizona is not producing enough professionals to meet the demand,” added Gallego.
Last year, Arizona’s universities graduated a few hundred students with computer science and related degrees, while the demand for qualified personnel is in the thousands.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets