PHOENIX — You’ll see something different at this year’s Amazing Arizona Comic Con convention going on this weekend at the Phoenix Convention Center.
In addition to a lot of comic books, characters, and costumes, you can attend a World Premiere.
The documentary “The Image Revolution” debuts on Saturday at the convention. It’s the story of how the creators of “Spawn” and “The Walking Dead” quit Marvel 20 years ago to start their own company.
“You get to see how these risked everything to leave the security blankets of Marvel and DC to break out and blaze their own trail,” said Jimmy Jay, the Convention’s Director.
Jay said that “Walking Dead” creator Robert Kirkman will answer questions right after the 3 p.m. showing.
Meanwhile, you’ll see people in a lot of fun costumes at the convention, including everything from comic book heroes to “Star Wars” Stormtroopers.
“Last year, we had somebody walking around looking like Gene Simmons (of the band “Kiss’), walking around posing with fans,” Jay said. He added that the Simmons lookalike stuck out his tongue, something that Simmons is well known for. “You will see some great, great stuff here,” said Jay.
We found a woman named Darth Brook who was already in costume before the convention opened.
“I’m Tira from Soulcalibur III,” Brook said. “It’s a video game. She has a ring blade. She has the soul edge on her side, and she’s sort of evil and cute at the same time. I like playing her. ” Brook laughed as she added, “I’m evil and cute I guess.”
The Amazing Arizona Comic Con runs through Sunday at the Phoenix Convention Center. For more information, visit AmazingArizonaComicCon.com.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns