PHOENIX — Twenty-eight National Guard airmen from the 161st Air Refueling Wing Security Forces Squadron have been ordered to deploy to help fight the war on terror.
“I’m excited to go, it’s my first time being deployed,” said 22-year-old Airman Brandon Baldenegro. “My biggest concern is that my family and friends will worry about me,” he said.
For airmen like Baldenegro and five others, this will be their first deployment. “They go through a lot of training so they’re ready to go like the rest of us,” said Staff Sergeant Nicholas Faye. “But I will share past experiences with them and show them the way,” he added.
The brave men and women are headed to Southwest Asia on a six-month mobilization to provide security for U.S. armed forces overseas.
More than 100 Arizona National Guard Soldiers and airmen are still serving on federal active duty overseas, and more than 10,000 Arizona Guard members have been called to federal active service since Sept. 11, 2001.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night