PHOENIX — Twenty-eight National Guard airmen from the 161st Air Refueling Wing Security Forces Squadron have been ordered to deploy to help fight the war on terror.
“I’m excited to go, it’s my first time being deployed,” said 22-year-old Airman Brandon Baldenegro. “My biggest concern is that my family and friends will worry about me,” he said.
For airmen like Baldenegro and five others, this will be their first deployment. “They go through a lot of training so they’re ready to go like the rest of us,” said Staff Sergeant Nicholas Faye. “But I will share past experiences with them and show them the way,” he added.
The brave men and women are headed to Southwest Asia on a six-month mobilization to provide security for U.S. armed forces overseas.
More than 100 Arizona National Guard Soldiers and airmen are still serving on federal active duty overseas, and more than 10,000 Arizona Guard members have been called to federal active service since Sept. 11, 2001.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.