PHOENIX — Twenty-eight National Guard airmen from the 161st Air Refueling Wing Security Forces Squadron have been ordered to deploy to help fight the war on terror.
“I’m excited to go, it’s my first time being deployed,” said 22-year-old Airman Brandon Baldenegro. “My biggest concern is that my family and friends will worry about me,” he said.
For airmen like Baldenegro and five others, this will be their first deployment. “They go through a lot of training so they’re ready to go like the rest of us,” said Staff Sergeant Nicholas Faye. “But I will share past experiences with them and show them the way,” he added.
The brave men and women are headed to Southwest Asia on a six-month mobilization to provide security for U.S. armed forces overseas.
More than 100 Arizona National Guard Soldiers and airmen are still serving on federal active duty overseas, and more than 10,000 Arizona Guard members have been called to federal active service since Sept. 11, 2001.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development