PHOENIX — A Valley food bank is kicking off its annual citrus drive this weekend.
St. Mary’s Food Bank will be accepting donations of citrus at various places around the Valley as part of its Super Citrus Saturday program.
“There’s a lot of citrus out there on backyard trees — grapefruits, oranges, lemons — and we can really use that fruit at the food banks,” said Jerry Brown with the food bank.
While he hopes to get plenty of donations, Brown said none of them will go to waste.
“Not only can we take that citrus and hand it straight to folks to eat as fruit, but we do have a company in Tempe that juices a lot of the fruit for us and can turn it into orange juice and grapefruit juice that we can distribute well into the summer,” he said.
Drop-offs will be accepted Saturday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the following locations:
North Phoenix Baptist Church (5757 N. Central Ave., Phoenix)
Shepherd of the Hills United Church of Christ (5524 E. Lafayette Blvd., Phoenix)
St. Mary’s Food Bank, Surprise Location (13050 W. Elm St., Surprise)
McDowell Mountain Plaza (10111 E. Bell Road, Scottsdale)
Last year, the food bank received about two million pounds of fruit.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night