PHOENIX — A Valley food bank is kicking off its annual citrus drive this weekend.
St. Mary’s Food Bank will be accepting donations of citrus at various places around the Valley as part of its Super Citrus Saturday program.
“There’s a lot of citrus out there on backyard trees — grapefruits, oranges, lemons — and we can really use that fruit at the food banks,” said Jerry Brown with the food bank.
While he hopes to get plenty of donations, Brown said none of them will go to waste.
“Not only can we take that citrus and hand it straight to folks to eat as fruit, but we do have a company in Tempe that juices a lot of the fruit for us and can turn it into orange juice and grapefruit juice that we can distribute well into the summer,” he said.
Drop-offs will be accepted Saturday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the following locations:
North Phoenix Baptist Church (5757 N. Central Ave., Phoenix)
Shepherd of the Hills United Church of Christ (5524 E. Lafayette Blvd., Phoenix)
St. Mary’s Food Bank, Surprise Location (13050 W. Elm St., Surprise)
McDowell Mountain Plaza (10111 E. Bell Road, Scottsdale)
Last year, the food bank received about two million pounds of fruit.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets