PHOENIX — A Valley food bank is kicking off its annual citrus drive this weekend.
St. Mary’s Food Bank will be accepting donations of citrus at various places around the Valley as part of its Super Citrus Saturday program.
“There’s a lot of citrus out there on backyard trees — grapefruits, oranges, lemons — and we can really use that fruit at the food banks,” said Jerry Brown with the food bank.
While he hopes to get plenty of donations, Brown said none of them will go to waste.
“Not only can we take that citrus and hand it straight to folks to eat as fruit, but we do have a company in Tempe that juices a lot of the fruit for us and can turn it into orange juice and grapefruit juice that we can distribute well into the summer,” he said.
Drop-offs will be accepted Saturday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the following locations:
North Phoenix Baptist Church (5757 N. Central Ave., Phoenix)
Shepherd of the Hills United Church of Christ (5524 E. Lafayette Blvd., Phoenix)
St. Mary’s Food Bank, Surprise Location (13050 W. Elm St., Surprise)
McDowell Mountain Plaza (10111 E. Bell Road, Scottsdale)
Last year, the food bank received about two million pounds of fruit.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments