PHOENIX — A prison in Buckeye, Ariz. was put on lockdown Friday after an inmate assaulted an Arizona Department of Corrections employee.
The DOC said the inmate, identified as 36-year-old Antonio Salley, struck the employee several times on the head about 9:30 a.m. and body at the Arizona State Prison Complex – Lewis.
Other employees fired two non-lethal rounds before the inmate was subdued.
According to azfamily.com, two people were transported to the hospital.
News helicopter footage showed numerous inmates lying on the ground while they were frisked by prison officers.
Salley is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder and armed robbery.
The prison is about an hour’s drive west of downtown Phoenix along State Route 85.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer contributed to this report.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development