PHOENIX — The winter snowpack in Arizona’s high country is almost nonexistent this season. The numbers are so bad that Arizona Snowbowl near Flagstaff would not be open if it didn’t have the gear to make powder.
Jason Stratton with the resort said December was the fourth-lowest natural snowfall month in the resort’s 76-year history.
“About 90 percent of our base is all manmade snow. We are counting our blessings that we now have the snowmaking equipment.” The resort has had the equipment since last year.
Snowbowl had a record month in December with 41,000 skiers. That’s a good thing because Flagstaff depends on the skiers for their winter economy.
“It’s a huge impact on gas stations, restaurants and hotels.”
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy