PHOENIX — The winter snowpack in Arizona’s high country is almost nonexistent this season. The numbers are so bad that Arizona Snowbowl near Flagstaff would not be open if it didn’t have the gear to make powder.
Jason Stratton with the resort said December was the fourth-lowest natural snowfall month in the resort’s 76-year history.
“About 90 percent of our base is all manmade snow. We are counting our blessings that we now have the snowmaking equipment.” The resort has had the equipment since last year.
Snowbowl had a record month in December with 41,000 skiers. That’s a good thing because Flagstaff depends on the skiers for their winter economy.
“It’s a huge impact on gas stations, restaurants and hotels.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.