PHOENIX — When the recession hit Arizona a few years ago, it was only a matter of time before it reached the small border towns.
“Then it hit us very hard and it took us longer to come out of it,” said Nogales Vice-Mayor Nubar Hanessian. He was at the State Capitol on Thursday as Phoenix and the state announced that they plan to open a trade office in Mexico City during the summer.
Hanessian’s community will benefit greatly from increased trade opportunities. Nogales is a major trade hub on the border and sits along Interstate 19, which continues south into Mexico as Mexico Federal Highway 15.
“Eighty percent of our economy (is based on) Mexican citizens. You look at property being sold in Nogales and Tucson and a lot of those properties are being sold to people from Mexico,” he said.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets