PHOENIX — State lawmakers say a partnership with Phoenix to create a trade, tourism and investment center in Mexico City could boost Arizona’s economy by billions of dollars.
“In many cases we have more in common with the folks in Sonora than we do with some of the folks in the northern U.S.,” Rep. Tom Forese R-Chandler, said at a news conference Thursday.
House Speaker Andy Tobin has set up an Ad Hoc International Trade and Commerce Committee, co-chaired by Forese, to enhance Arizona’s trade with Mexico. The committee’s first priority when it meets on Feb. 10 will be to fund the trade office, Forese said.
The cost of establishing the office, estimated at between $400,000 and $450,000, would come from the state, the city of Phoenix and private sources, Phoenix City Councilman Sal DiCiccio said.
“It’s as important to Page, Ariz., as it is to Phoenix, Ariz., that we move ahead,” he said.
DiCiccio said Phoenix has committed $150,000, and Forese said the state’s proposed share is $150,000.
Councilman Michael Nowakowski said that Arizona’s trade with Mexico is worth about $6 billion annually, while for California and Texas the figures are $40 billion and $90 billion, respectively.
The partnership is “about creating jobs, it’s about making sure that we as the state of Arizona are getting our fair share.”
Roberto Rodríguez Hernández, Mexico’s consul general in Phoenix, said establishing an office would give Arizona and Mexico a chance to work together beyond issues like immigration and safety.
“I think we forgot to be talking about the best part of our relationship, that is culture, investment, trade, business, and we will have a lot of opportunities working together rather than be debating about just immigration,” he said.
Rep. Catherine H. Miranda, D-Phoenix, said the trade center would provide opportunities on both sides of the border.
“I’m all about opportunity, and this is such a beautiful opportunity for both countries to unite and for Arizona to have a strong presence in Mexico,” she said.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl