PHOENIX — State lawmakers say a partnership with Phoenix to create a trade, tourism and investment center in Mexico City could boost Arizona’s economy by billions of dollars.
“In many cases we have more in common with the folks in Sonora than we do with some of the folks in the northern U.S.,” Rep. Tom Forese R-Chandler, said at a news conference Thursday.
House Speaker Andy Tobin has set up an Ad Hoc International Trade and Commerce Committee, co-chaired by Forese, to enhance Arizona’s trade with Mexico. The committee’s first priority when it meets on Feb. 10 will be to fund the trade office, Forese said.
The cost of establishing the office, estimated at between $400,000 and $450,000, would come from the state, the city of Phoenix and private sources, Phoenix City Councilman Sal DiCiccio said.
“It’s as important to Page, Ariz., as it is to Phoenix, Ariz., that we move ahead,” he said.
DiCiccio said Phoenix has committed $150,000, and Forese said the state’s proposed share is $150,000.
Councilman Michael Nowakowski said that Arizona’s trade with Mexico is worth about $6 billion annually, while for California and Texas the figures are $40 billion and $90 billion, respectively.
The partnership is “about creating jobs, it’s about making sure that we as the state of Arizona are getting our fair share.”
Roberto Rodríguez Hernández, Mexico’s consul general in Phoenix, said establishing an office would give Arizona and Mexico a chance to work together beyond issues like immigration and safety.
“I think we forgot to be talking about the best part of our relationship, that is culture, investment, trade, business, and we will have a lot of opportunities working together rather than be debating about just immigration,” he said.
Rep. Catherine H. Miranda, D-Phoenix, said the trade center would provide opportunities on both sides of the border.
“I’m all about opportunity, and this is such a beautiful opportunity for both countries to unite and for Arizona to have a strong presence in Mexico,” she said.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.