PHOENIX — State lawmakers say a partnership with Phoenix to create a trade, tourism and investment center in Mexico City could boost Arizona’s economy by billions of dollars.
“In many cases we have more in common with the folks in Sonora than we do with some of the folks in the northern U.S.,” Rep. Tom Forese R-Chandler, said at a news conference Thursday.
House Speaker Andy Tobin has set up an Ad Hoc International Trade and Commerce Committee, co-chaired by Forese, to enhance Arizona’s trade with Mexico. The committee’s first priority when it meets on Feb. 10 will be to fund the trade office, Forese said.
The cost of establishing the office, estimated at between $400,000 and $450,000, would come from the state, the city of Phoenix and private sources, Phoenix City Councilman Sal DiCiccio said.
“It’s as important to Page, Ariz., as it is to Phoenix, Ariz., that we move ahead,” he said.
DiCiccio said Phoenix has committed $150,000, and Forese said the state’s proposed share is $150,000.
Councilman Michael Nowakowski said that Arizona’s trade with Mexico is worth about $6 billion annually, while for California and Texas the figures are $40 billion and $90 billion, respectively.
The partnership is “about creating jobs, it’s about making sure that we as the state of Arizona are getting our fair share.”
Roberto Rodríguez Hernández, Mexico’s consul general in Phoenix, said establishing an office would give Arizona and Mexico a chance to work together beyond issues like immigration and safety.
“I think we forgot to be talking about the best part of our relationship, that is culture, investment, trade, business, and we will have a lot of opportunities working together rather than be debating about just immigration,” he said.
Rep. Catherine H. Miranda, D-Phoenix, said the trade center would provide opportunities on both sides of the border.
“I’m all about opportunity, and this is such a beautiful opportunity for both countries to unite and for Arizona to have a strong presence in Mexico,” she said.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon