PHOENIX — Mesa police detectives arrested a Church of Latter-Day Saints bishop last week for allegedly having conversations of a sexual nature with a minor.
Steven Berry of the Mesa Police Department said Michael Wayne Coleman, 53, was arrested Thursday, Jan. 16, and charged with one count of luring a minor for sexual exploitation.
Mesa detectives began their investigation on Nov. 2, 2013, after being contacted about an allegation by a 16-year-old male student. The student filed a complaint after having a Facebook chat where Coleman made comments about getting a hug and kiss from the student.
Berry said detectives also discovered Coleman was having “illicit sexual conversations” with a separate 17-year-old male over the Internet. Coleman was arrested based on evidence found on his computer.
Mesa police said the investigation is ongoing and there is a potential for additional victims.
While being investigated, Coleman was the bishop of the Lehi 2nd Ward. Berry said he believes the suspect has been removed from his position with the church.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon