PHOENIX — Teachers across the nation are struggling with social media, a survey said.
The University of Phoenix study of about 1,000 kindergarten through 12th-grade teachers said that teachers are having issues with how to connect with parents and teachers on social networks. The survey said that less than one-third of the teachers have received training on how to use social media to connect with their students or as an educational tool.
“That’s why only 17 percent of K-12 teachers encourage their students to connect with them through social media, and only 18 percent of them integrate it into their classrooms,” said Kathy Cook, director of educational technology with the University of Phoenix’s College of Education.
The survey said that less than one-third of new teachers receive training on how to use social media in the classroom and, because of that lack of training, most are avoiding its use altogether.
But that’s not the only problem. Cook said many teachers are concerned about being able to separate their social media accounts in their business and professional lives and it’s an easy problem to solve if they use the options presented to that.
“They may only want to use Facebook for their personal use, and LinkedIn to communicate with educational professionals,” she said.
Teachers are also fearful of parents using social media to spy on their private lives.
Despite about 80 percent using social media for personal reasons, the study said many teachers see the benefit of using social media but are unsure how to go about integrating it in the classroom. Cook had some advice.
Cook suggested that Twitter is a good way for teachers to update students and parents and Skype can be very useful in class.
“Now you can go out and find the authors of the books that you’re reading in class and invite those authors into the classroom through technology tools,” she said.
Cook said social media can be a great addition to the classroom, and she encourages teachers to familiarize themselves with all of the online platforms.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier