PHOENIX — A grassroots organization is taking aim at genetically-modified foods with the hopes Arizona voters will help in the fight implement a law that would require GMOs to be properly labeled.
“We have to know what’s in our food,” said Jared Keen, founder of Plant Based Nation. “We have the right to know what we are eating. No one knows with certainty if they’re safe, if there’s any correlation between GMOs and disease processes and we didn’t even know that we were being subjected to this.”
Keen is leading the effort and will submit required paperwork to the attorney general’s office next week. His goal is to collect nearly 200,000 voter signatures to get the initiative on the ballot.
Currently, only a couple states have labeling requirements but dozens of others are joining in the push to clearly identify foods with genetically-modified ingredients. The most common include corn, soybean and canola.
Reports show two-thirds of the processed foods on grocery store shelves contain genetically-modified ingredients.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon