PHOENIX — Two Maricopa County officials have joined the calls for harsh punishment for an Arizona State University fraternity who hosted a racially-themed party ahead of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
County Supervisor Mary Rose Wilcox and state Sen. Steve Gallardo called for Tau Kappa Epsilon to be punished in a letter to ASU President Michael Crow.
The fraternity held a “MLK Black Party” that was full of racial stereotypes, something both officials deemed worthy of expulsion.
“The current members of the TKE fraternity who participated in this shameful event do not represent ASU and don’t belong in this school,” the letter read.
The officials both said they would support a decision from ASU that doled out the harshest punishment possible on both the students and fraternity.
On Wednesday, Valley civil rights activist Rev. Jarrett Maupin told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos he wanted the fraternity banned, the involved students expelled and a college-wide class on racial sensitivity to be offered.
To read the full letter, click here.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas