PHOENIX — Athletes from Special Olympics Arizona will take to the courts in Scottsdale on Saturday for the fourth annual Tennis Fun Day.
Working with local tennis pros, athletes with physical and intellectual disabilities will participate in clinics and exhibitions to learn the basics of tennis, as well as certain groundstrokes. They’ll use low compression balls that bounce softer and the net height will be adjusted.
“Everybody thinks there are certain limitations towards what special needs kids can do,” said Mark Pachtner, director of tennis at Troon Country Club.
He said, by the end of the day, some of the athletes are able to rally back and forth a little bit.
“It’s very exciting to see that they enjoy themselves with an activity they’re normally not exposed to.”
Each athlete receives a free T-shirt, tennis racquet and a gold medal for participation during the post-event awards luncheon.
Pachtner said the event also serves as a fundraiser for Special Olympics Arizona so the athletes can continue playing tennis on their own.
Tennis Fun Day gets underway at 9:30 a.m. at Troon Country Club, located at 25000 N. Windy Walk Drive in Scottsdale. For volunteer information contact Mark Pachtner at (480) 358-7718.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier