PHOENIX — The city of Phoenix is ready to spend $150,000 each year to open a trade office in Mexico, but only if the state is willing to match that price.
Phoenix Councilman Michael Nowakowski said Mexico is the state’s largest trading partner with about $6 billion changing hands each year and he sees Arizona becoming a hub for trade with Mexico’s improved highway system moving goods to the entire United States.
“We could become a hub in transporting goods to Colorado, New Mexico, the Midwest,” he said. “And that’s where we have the advantage.”
Still, Arizona lags far behind trade between Mexico and Texas, which he estimates is about $90 billion yearly.
Nogales Vice Mayor Nubar Hanessian welcomed the possible opening of the trade office because it would benefit his community on Interstate 19, right at the border.
“The nice thing about Mexico is that they do like the United States,” he said. “They want to come here, spend money and invest in the United States.”
Arizona Rep. Tom Forese of Chandler will lead the charge at the capitol to green light the funds.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes