PHOENIX — The city of Phoenix is ready to spend $150,000 each year to open a trade office in Mexico, but only if the state is willing to match that price.
Phoenix Councilman Michael Nowakowski said Mexico is the state’s largest trading partner with about $6 billion changing hands each year and he sees Arizona becoming a hub for trade with Mexico’s improved highway system moving goods to the entire United States.
“We could become a hub in transporting goods to Colorado, New Mexico, the Midwest,” he said. “And that’s where we have the advantage.”
Still, Arizona lags far behind trade between Mexico and Texas, which he estimates is about $90 billion yearly.
Nogales Vice Mayor Nubar Hanessian welcomed the possible opening of the trade office because it would benefit his community on Interstate 19, right at the border.
“The nice thing about Mexico is that they do like the United States,” he said. “They want to come here, spend money and invest in the United States.”
Arizona Rep. Tom Forese of Chandler will lead the charge at the capitol to green light the funds.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas