PHOENIX — Two dozen people were injured Thursday morning when a Greyhound bus crashed on Interstate 10 about 65 miles west of Phoenix.
At least three passengers were airlifted to St. Joseph’s Hospital in Phoenix. The remaining 20 were taken to West Valley hospitals by ambulance. There were 40 riders.
A Harquahala Valley Fire spokesman said a passenger, Maquel Donyel Morris, had tried to take control of the steering wheel from the driver, causing the accident.
Another passenger described him as “[going] berserk.”
A Department of Public Safety spokesman said Morris, of Los Angeles, where the bus had stopped Wednesday, was taken into custody and faced felony endangerment, assault and aggravated assault charges.
The Dallas-bound bus was traveling eastbound about 1:45 a.m. when Morris tried to overpower the driver. He allegedly screamed, “Everybody’s going to die” and is believed to have been hallucinating. Other passengers rushed to help the driver and prevented the bus from meeting oncoming traffic.
Morris, 25, and a woman who was said to be his girlfriend got off the bus and ran into the desert, returning a half-hour later. They were promptly arrested.
The Facebook page of a Maquel Morris from Los Angeles had the following posts:
KTAR’s Jim Cross and the Associated Press contributed to this article.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy