GLENDALE, Ariz. — A big party was thrown Wednesday at Banner Thunderbird Hospital in Glendale.
The celebration of Peggy Hodgson’s 100th birthday also marks her 30th anniversary of volunteering at the hospital. Dozens of friends, family and co-workers surprised her by showing for the surprise party.
After working for a telephone company in New York for 45 years, Hodgson and her husband, George, retired and moved to Arizona in 1974. George has since passed away.
In 1984, she started volunteering at the hospital at the age of 70.
“I had always wanted to volunteer at a hospital,” said Hodgson, adding she likes to help and pray for people.
She started first in the emergency room, where she made beds and took care of children while their parents were being treated.
“They would always say ‘We’re hungry, we want to eat!’ So I would take them to the employee lounge to go get breakfast or something.”
People at Wednesday’s ceremony laughed as Hodgson told them that her job was also to make sure that the kids didn’t start playing on the elevator. She said that was pretty tough when kids were bored and looking for something to do.
These days, she’s doing work in the office.
“I fill out a bunch of paperwork for the doctors,” she said. Hodgson then laughed when she said “At least I think it’s for the doctors!”
She works one day a week, and has no plans to quit.
“As long as God wants me to stay on this earth, I want to stay here (at this hospital),” she said. Then she joked “If anything happens to me, I want to be HERE, not home.”
She thinks that if she’s at the hospital when any trouble comes, the doctors will be there to help her and God will give her even more time on this earth.
Her secret to a long life?
“I don’t eat much, and I don’t drink,” said Hodgson. “But then she quipped “Come to think of it, maybe I should drink!”
But she also credits her long life to lots of dancing and lots of prayer.
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work