PHOENIX — The Phoenix Convention Center is hosting a flooring show through Friday and wool producers from New Zealand are in the Valley to push their line of carpeting.
Howie Gardner with Just Shorn New Zealand said wool production has plummeted worldwide, and his home country is no exception.
“Through the winter we run about 11,000 sheep on 4,000 acres and 22,000 sheep in the summer. There were about 70 million sheep around the world in the 1970s and today that number is around 28 million.”
Wool has fallen out of favor in the past few decades as people turn to synthetics, which are cheaper, but Gardner said, inferior to wool. He said there are signs woll is making a comeback.
“We’re four years into the Just Shorn brand. Sales are increasing and we’re happy with the progress. We’re in Phoenix to develop more outlets for our line of carpeting.”
David Fagan, also with Just Shorn, said sheep are the ultimate green animal.
“Wool is sustainable, renewable and the sheep keep growing it,” he said. “It goes into clothes and carpet and is more environmentally friendly than synthetics. It’s a safer product for children to be around in the home.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development