PHOENIX — Former Border Patrol Commander Ron Colburn
said that the Secretary of Homeland Security’s visit to the border Wednesday will be eye-opening.
Jeh Johnson has been on the job less than a month and will get his first taste of the Arizona border with Mexico, with a trip to Douglas and Tucson.
Colburn has toured the border with former Homeland leaders Tom Ridge, Michael Chertoff and Janet Napolitano.
“When Chertoff visited Arizona he stepped off the helicopter after seeing the desert, his eyes were as big as saucers and he said he never knew the border area was this challenging and vast. I expect Jeh Johnson will feel the same way.”
Colburn said Napolitano understood the complexity of the border better than most from Washington because of her time as Arizona governor. But he strongly disagreed with her position that the border is more secure than ever.
“The border has always been dangerous and it’s more dangerous now than ever before,” he said. “When she said it was safer I spoke with her and told her that you’re from Arizona and you can’t sell that message to people who live on farms and ranches on the border after rancher Rob Krentz was shot to death.
“When people don’t believe they’re safer, trying to sell them that notion from a podium will not sell that message. You have to feel their pain and tell them the job isn’t finished. That’s where Napolitano could have done a better job.”
Colburn said Johnson needs to help bring better technology to secure the border and much more needs to be done to deal with the threat from violent Mexican drug cartels.
“Cartels will do whatever it takes to cash in. Trafficking drugs, people, cash and weapons. Even though border security is tighter, the cartels will do whatever it takes to keep their enterprise alive.”
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes