PHOENIX — Former Border Patrol Commander Ron Colburn
said that the Secretary of Homeland Security’s visit to the border Wednesday will be eye-opening.
Jeh Johnson has been on the job less than a month and will get his first taste of the Arizona border with Mexico, with a trip to Douglas and Tucson.
Colburn has toured the border with former Homeland leaders Tom Ridge, Michael Chertoff and Janet Napolitano.
“When Chertoff visited Arizona he stepped off the helicopter after seeing the desert, his eyes were as big as saucers and he said he never knew the border area was this challenging and vast. I expect Jeh Johnson will feel the same way.”
Colburn said Napolitano understood the complexity of the border better than most from Washington because of her time as Arizona governor. But he strongly disagreed with her position that the border is more secure than ever.
“The border has always been dangerous and it’s more dangerous now than ever before,” he said. “When she said it was safer I spoke with her and told her that you’re from Arizona and you can’t sell that message to people who live on farms and ranches on the border after rancher Rob Krentz was shot to death.
“When people don’t believe they’re safer, trying to sell them that notion from a podium will not sell that message. You have to feel their pain and tell them the job isn’t finished. That’s where Napolitano could have done a better job.”
Colburn said Johnson needs to help bring better technology to secure the border and much more needs to be done to deal with the threat from violent Mexican drug cartels.
“Cartels will do whatever it takes to cash in. Trafficking drugs, people, cash and weapons. Even though border security is tighter, the cartels will do whatever it takes to keep their enterprise alive.”
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck