PHOENIX — Former Border Patrol Commander Ron Colburn
said that the Secretary of Homeland Security’s visit to the border Wednesday will be eye-opening.
Jeh Johnson has been on the job less than a month and will get his first taste of the Arizona border with Mexico, with a trip to Douglas and Tucson.
Colburn has toured the border with former Homeland leaders Tom Ridge, Michael Chertoff and Janet Napolitano.
“When Chertoff visited Arizona he stepped off the helicopter after seeing the desert, his eyes were as big as saucers and he said he never knew the border area was this challenging and vast. I expect Jeh Johnson will feel the same way.”
Colburn said Napolitano understood the complexity of the border better than most from Washington because of her time as Arizona governor. But he strongly disagreed with her position that the border is more secure than ever.
“The border has always been dangerous and it’s more dangerous now than ever before,” he said. “When she said it was safer I spoke with her and told her that you’re from Arizona and you can’t sell that message to people who live on farms and ranches on the border after rancher Rob Krentz was shot to death.
“When people don’t believe they’re safer, trying to sell them that notion from a podium will not sell that message. You have to feel their pain and tell them the job isn’t finished. That’s where Napolitano could have done a better job.”
Colburn said Johnson needs to help bring better technology to secure the border and much more needs to be done to deal with the threat from violent Mexican drug cartels.
“Cartels will do whatever it takes to cash in. Trafficking drugs, people, cash and weapons. Even though border security is tighter, the cartels will do whatever it takes to keep their enterprise alive.”
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again