While Americans continue to grow fatter, the personal training industry continues to expand and evolve.
According to the Chandler-based National Academy of Sports Medicine, the personal training industry’s revenue is expected to grow 2.9 percent over the next four years.
It is expected to reach $10.8 billion by the year 2017.
“I used to think that people who wanted to become personal trainers were young people, gym rats who wanted to spend all of their time there,” said NASM President Andrew Wyant. “We have people who are retired teachers, firefighters or police officers who are 50, maybe even getting into their 60s [who] are interested in health and fitness and have a passion for helping other people.”
The industry welcomes baby boomers and the numbers suggests they are finding success in their new, post-retirement careers. Data shows the number of certified trainers over the age of 40 has grown nearly 10 percent from 2012 to 2013.
The industry could prove to be lucrative and appealing for those interested in a new career.
“Those who have gained the expertise and built their business can earn over $100,000 a year,” said Wyant.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets