While Americans continue to grow fatter, the personal training industry continues to expand and evolve.
According to the Chandler-based National Academy of Sports Medicine, the personal training industry’s revenue is expected to grow 2.9 percent over the next four years.
It is expected to reach $10.8 billion by the year 2017.
“I used to think that people who wanted to become personal trainers were young people, gym rats who wanted to spend all of their time there,” said NASM President Andrew Wyant. “We have people who are retired teachers, firefighters or police officers who are 50, maybe even getting into their 60s [who] are interested in health and fitness and have a passion for helping other people.”
The industry welcomes baby boomers and the numbers suggests they are finding success in their new, post-retirement careers. Data shows the number of certified trainers over the age of 40 has grown nearly 10 percent from 2012 to 2013.
The industry could prove to be lucrative and appealing for those interested in a new career.
“Those who have gained the expertise and built their business can earn over $100,000 a year,” said Wyant.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier