PHOENIX — If you’re nearing retirement and wondering how you’re going to live on limited income, you may be able to use your home to get some much-needed cash.
By getting a reverse mortgage, homeowners can convert part of the equity in their home into cash. Instead of the owner making monthly payments to the lender, the lender pays the homeowner.
Most of the time, older homeowners will use the money to pay medical bills or routine everyday expenses.
“You would take that cash, and you would have it and not have to repay it until you either move out of the house or die,” said Mike Sullivan of Take Charge America, a credit counseling service.
The lender will get repaid once the homeowner either sells the home or no longer lives there. Sullivan said that if you’re over 62 and have a limited income, a reverse mortgage might be a good option.
“If you have to have money to live on, and you don’t have any other source of money, then, as I always say, ‘This is certainly better than eating dog food,'” Sullivan said.
Sullivan added that if the homeowners aren’t careful, however, they could still lose their home to foreclosure, if they don’t stay current on other payments, such as insurance and property taxes.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns