PHOENIX — If you’re nearing retirement and wondering how you’re going to live on limited income, you may be able to use your home to get some much-needed cash.
By getting a reverse mortgage, homeowners can convert part of the equity in their home into cash. Instead of the owner making monthly payments to the lender, the lender pays the homeowner.
Most of the time, older homeowners will use the money to pay medical bills or routine everyday expenses.
“You would take that cash, and you would have it and not have to repay it until you either move out of the house or die,” said Mike Sullivan of Take Charge America, a credit counseling service.
The lender will get repaid once the homeowner either sells the home or no longer lives there. Sullivan said that if you’re over 62 and have a limited income, a reverse mortgage might be a good option.
“If you have to have money to live on, and you don’t have any other source of money, then, as I always say, ‘This is certainly better than eating dog food,'” Sullivan said.
Sullivan added that if the homeowners aren’t careful, however, they could still lose their home to foreclosure, if they don’t stay current on other payments, such as insurance and property taxes.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night