PHOENIX — If you’re nearing retirement and wondering how you’re going to live on limited income, you may be able to use your home to get some much-needed cash.
By getting a reverse mortgage, homeowners can convert part of the equity in their home into cash. Instead of the owner making monthly payments to the lender, the lender pays the homeowner.
Most of the time, older homeowners will use the money to pay medical bills or routine everyday expenses.
“You would take that cash, and you would have it and not have to repay it until you either move out of the house or die,” said Mike Sullivan of Take Charge America, a credit counseling service.
The lender will get repaid once the homeowner either sells the home or no longer lives there. Sullivan said that if you’re over 62 and have a limited income, a reverse mortgage might be a good option.
“If you have to have money to live on, and you don’t have any other source of money, then, as I always say, ‘This is certainly better than eating dog food,'” Sullivan said.
Sullivan added that if the homeowners aren’t careful, however, they could still lose their home to foreclosure, if they don’t stay current on other payments, such as insurance and property taxes.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them