PHOENIX — The Barrett-Jackson auto auction set a new company record over the weekend for total sales.
In a Tuesday release, the auction said it surpassed $113 million in sales, a new high for the company, while setting a few more records along the way.
The car that brought in the highest bid was a 1967 Chevrolet Corvette L88 two-door coupe that sold for a whopping $3.85 million, the most expensive Corvette ever sold at an auction. It was followed by a 1969 Corvette race car that brought in $2.86 million (another world record) and a 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL that went for just over $2 million.
The auction also set a Guinness World Record for both the largest single-unit marquee and the largest marquee.
In addition to setting records, the auction raised over $4.4 million for national and local charities by auctioning off 14 vehicles.
“I am proud to say that once again the Barrett-Jackson team came through for charity including a total of $1 million dollars benefiting the Armed Forces Foundation, a cause very close to my heart,” said Barrett-Jackson President Steve Davis.
In total, 1,399 cars rolled off the auction block at the several day, annual event held at WestWorld of Scottsdale. More than 300,000 people — including a large list of celebrities — attended the event.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets