PHOENIX — The Barrett-Jackson auto auction set a new company record over the weekend for total sales.
In a Tuesday release, the auction said it surpassed $113 million in sales, a new high for the company, while setting a few more records along the way.
The car that brought in the highest bid was a 1967 Chevrolet Corvette L88 two-door coupe that sold for a whopping $3.85 million, the most expensive Corvette ever sold at an auction. It was followed by a 1969 Corvette race car that brought in $2.86 million (another world record) and a 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL that went for just over $2 million.
The auction also set a Guinness World Record for both the largest single-unit marquee and the largest marquee.
In addition to setting records, the auction raised over $4.4 million for national and local charities by auctioning off 14 vehicles.
“I am proud to say that once again the Barrett-Jackson team came through for charity including a total of $1 million dollars benefiting the Armed Forces Foundation, a cause very close to my heart,” said Barrett-Jackson President Steve Davis.
In total, 1,399 cars rolled off the auction block at the several day, annual event held at WestWorld of Scottsdale. More than 300,000 people — including a large list of celebrities — attended the event.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night