PHOENIX — A study released this month by the United States Department of Agriculture finds more Americans are paying closer attention to what they eat.
Count Phoenix resident Charlotte Shaff among them.
“My eating habits have definitely changed since I had children,” she said. “I’m much more aware of what I am consuming and what they’re consuming.”
According to the study, more working-age and older adults are using the Nutrition Facts panel — the label you typically see on the backs and sides of food products.
Shaff says she usually zeroes in on sugar and sodium content.
“We don’t even have a salt shaker on our table anymore. I don’t want my kids to be used to a lot of salt in their foods, and so I want them to actually taste the food that they’re eating.”
The report, released by the USDA’s Economic Research Service, examined eating habits between 2005 and 2010. It found the average person ate three fewer meals away from home per month and overall daily caloric intake dropped by 78 calories per day. Click here to see the full report.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier