PHOENIX — A study released this month by the United States Department of Agriculture finds more Americans are paying closer attention to what they eat.
Count Phoenix resident Charlotte Shaff among them.
“My eating habits have definitely changed since I had children,” she said. “I’m much more aware of what I am consuming and what they’re consuming.”
According to the study, more working-age and older adults are using the Nutrition Facts panel — the label you typically see on the backs and sides of food products.
Shaff says she usually zeroes in on sugar and sodium content.
“We don’t even have a salt shaker on our table anymore. I don’t want my kids to be used to a lot of salt in their foods, and so I want them to actually taste the food that they’re eating.”
The report, released by the USDA’s Economic Research Service, examined eating habits between 2005 and 2010. It found the average person ate three fewer meals away from home per month and overall daily caloric intake dropped by 78 calories per day. Click here to see the full report.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development