A multiple-vehicle accident on I-17 southbound around 3:00 p.m. Monday left a motorcyclist dead, according to authorities.
According to witnesses, a flat-bed truck that was uninvolved in the accident itself lost a number of gas cylinders, which landed on the freeway, effectively causing the accident.
The rider of the motorcycle reportedly swerved out of the way of the cylinders before stopping in front of a semi-truck and behind a Suburban SUV carrying a family of six. The driver of the semi-truck was unable to stop, ultimately running over the motorcyclist and rear-ending the SUV, igniting a fire beneath the truck which burnt the rider and set the truck’s tractor ablaze.
The driver of the semi-truck escaped the vehicle unharmed while two family members of the six in the SUV were taken to the hospital with minor injuries.
DPS Officer Carrick Cook tweeted at 5:33 p.m. that the motorcyclist had died.
The department is still searching for the flatbed that lost the gas cylinders which caused the accident.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas