A multiple-vehicle accident on I-17 southbound around 3:00 p.m. Monday left a motorcyclist dead, according to authorities.
According to witnesses, a flat-bed truck that was uninvolved in the accident itself lost a number of gas cylinders, which landed on the freeway, effectively causing the accident.
The rider of the motorcycle reportedly swerved out of the way of the cylinders before stopping in front of a semi-truck and behind a Suburban SUV carrying a family of six. The driver of the semi-truck was unable to stop, ultimately running over the motorcyclist and rear-ending the SUV, igniting a fire beneath the truck which burnt the rider and set the truck’s tractor ablaze.
The driver of the semi-truck escaped the vehicle unharmed while two family members of the six in the SUV were taken to the hospital with minor injuries.
DPS Officer Carrick Cook tweeted at 5:33 p.m. that the motorcyclist had died.
The department is still searching for the flatbed that lost the gas cylinders which caused the accident.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development