PHOENIX — When the 56th Annual Grammy Awards are broadcast this Sunday, it will include the first Music Educator Award presented by the Grammy Foundation. And out of more than 30,000 nominations from across the country, they narrowed the list to 10 finalists, including former Horizon High School Choral Director Kathrine Kouns.
“Seeing these students become people that not only I was proud of them, but then they were proud to be those people and that they could even credit being involved in the program as part of the reason for that,” Kouns said. “That’s pretty amazing.”
Earlier this month, Kouns learned she will not receive a trip to Los Angeles and receive the award during the Grammy show, but she hopes the exposure will open people’s eyes to the value of music education.
“You know there’s always a higher importance placed on standardized testing and I’m certainly not saying those things aren’t important, but I think there’s a lot of people unfortunately that disregard the importance of other areas in just developing those kids as human beings and well-rounded people.”
Kouns is now living out of state, but plans to return to Scottsdale in a couple of months, when the Grammy Foundation will hold a ceremony at Horizon High and present the choir with a $1000 check.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development