PHOENIX — The march in downtown Phoenix Monday morning that commemorated the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. came just over 50 years since the march on Washington, D.C.
Antoinette Knox has been marching on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day for 20 years and this year, she brought her 6-year-old son to the event.
“My son needs to know the importance of Dr. King’s legacy and his dream,” Knox said.
Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said this year’s event carries an added, special meaning, after the recent death of Nelson Mandela, the former South African president who helped end apartheid and advocated for human rights around the world.
“We still have a lot of work to do and it’s important to look back at the incredible work of King and the entire civil rights movement,” Stanton said. “That’s what we celebrate today.”
Hance Park will also hold festival from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. to honor Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development