PHOENIX — The march in downtown Phoenix Monday morning that commemorated the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. came just over 50 years since the march on Washington, D.C.
Antoinette Knox has been marching on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day for 20 years and this year, she brought her 6-year-old son to the event.
“My son needs to know the importance of Dr. King’s legacy and his dream,” Knox said.
Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said this year’s event carries an added, special meaning, after the recent death of Nelson Mandela, the former South African president who helped end apartheid and advocated for human rights around the world.
“We still have a lot of work to do and it’s important to look back at the incredible work of King and the entire civil rights movement,” Stanton said. “That’s what we celebrate today.”
Hance Park will also hold festival from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. to honor Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night