PHOENIX — The march in downtown Phoenix Monday morning that commemorated the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. came just over 50 years since the march on Washington, D.C.
Antoinette Knox has been marching on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day for 20 years and this year, she brought her 6-year-old son to the event.
“My son needs to know the importance of Dr. King’s legacy and his dream,” Knox said.
Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said this year’s event carries an added, special meaning, after the recent death of Nelson Mandela, the former South African president who helped end apartheid and advocated for human rights around the world.
“We still have a lot of work to do and it’s important to look back at the incredible work of King and the entire civil rights movement,” Stanton said. “That’s what we celebrate today.”
Hance Park will also hold festival from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. to honor Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick