MESA, Ariz. — Monday marks a landmark day for one intersection in Mesa.
At 10:45 a.m., just prior to the city’s Martin Luther King, Jr. parade, a new street sign will be unveiled, renaming Third Place, between Center Street and Centennial Way, to Martin Luther King, Jr. Way.
John Goodie with the Mesa MLK Committee said this is a historic day in a city where voters repealed the city holiday in 1992, before approving it again in 1996.
“For a city that struggled to pass the holiday, to come full circle is priceless,” Goodie said. “Dr. King had a vision of where we are today. We’ve gotten better. We’re not there yet, [but] it’s moving in the right direction.”
The East Valley Tribune also reported that the area
used to be home to a segregated park and swimming pool for the community’s
black, Native American and Latino residents.
In 1953, residents formed the Better Community Council to eliminate segregation
at public facilities and restaurants. The committee’s efforts led to integration
of the pool.
The Mesa MLK Parade will be held from 11 a.m. to noon, followed by a festival from noon-4 p.m. at the Mesa Arts Center.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona