PHOENIX — After undergoing months of rigorous exercise and strict dieting, a Valley dog has found a new home.
Chiquita, a short, 3-year-old Welsh Corgi mix, was adopted Monday by Glendale resident Sharon Leary.
Chiquita’s story began back in August 2013, after she arrived at the Arizona Humane Society extremely obese at a whopping 40 pounds.
Under the care of a dedicated foster family, Chiquita underwent months of exercise, including water aerobics. She was also placed on a special diet.
Five months later, Chiquita is back to a healthy 24 pounds.
“Her story is a little more unique, but we do see some chunksters come into the shelter more often than not, just slightly obese,” said Ashliegh Goebel of the Arizona Humane Society.
Goebel said pet obesity is on the rise in the U.S. and is considered to be the leading health threat to American pets. Nearly 45 percent of pet owners incorrectly evaluate their overweight pet as normal.
“It’s similar to obesity in humans,” she said. “It can lead to a lot of medical conditions, including diabetes, cancer, joint problems, and high blood pressure.”
Goebel said pet owners should be aware of signs that their animal is overweight. They include not being able to see the waistline or ribs, a reluctance to exercise, and tiring out quickly.
“If your pet is displaying those physical signs you probably want to get them checked out by a vet,” she said.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier