PHOENIX — After undergoing months of rigorous exercise and strict dieting, a Valley dog has found a new home.
Chiquita, a short, 3-year-old Welsh Corgi mix, was adopted Monday by Glendale resident Sharon Leary.
Chiquita’s story began back in August 2013, after she arrived at the Arizona Humane Society extremely obese at a whopping 40 pounds.
Under the care of a dedicated foster family, Chiquita underwent months of exercise, including water aerobics. She was also placed on a special diet.
Five months later, Chiquita is back to a healthy 24 pounds.
“Her story is a little more unique, but we do see some chunksters come into the shelter more often than not, just slightly obese,” said Ashliegh Goebel of the Arizona Humane Society.
Goebel said pet obesity is on the rise in the U.S. and is considered to be the leading health threat to American pets. Nearly 45 percent of pet owners incorrectly evaluate their overweight pet as normal.
“It’s similar to obesity in humans,” she said. “It can lead to a lot of medical conditions, including diabetes, cancer, joint problems, and high blood pressure.”
Goebel said pet owners should be aware of signs that their animal is overweight. They include not being able to see the waistline or ribs, a reluctance to exercise, and tiring out quickly.
“If your pet is displaying those physical signs you probably want to get them checked out by a vet,” she said.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick