PHOENIX — The 11th Annual PF Chang’s Rock ‘n Roll Marathon attracts more than 20,000 participants and leads to numerous road closures in Phoenix, Scottsdale and Tempe.
Police in Scottsdale said for one driver, the closures created trouble.
Officer David Pubins said Phoenix resident Lawrence Martz, 55, was traveling at a high rate of speed near 68th Street and Thomas when an officer conducting traffic control stepped onto the road.
“He engaged the driver, who was pretty verbally abusive and very upset that this event was taking place and keeping him from traveling from Point A to Point B,” Pubins explained.
Pubins also said Martz was arrested and booked for reckless driving and disorderly conduct.
“The officer on the scene did say he was driving at a high rate of speed, higher than should have been for the area, and there were people around at the time,” Pubins said. “You have spectators and fans and those of that ilk watching the half marathon.”
Pubins said the incident did not impact the race. Find all the road closures here.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night