PHOENIX — The 11th Annual PF Chang’s Rock ‘n Roll Marathon attracts more than 20,000 participants and leads to numerous road closures in Phoenix, Scottsdale and Tempe.
Police in Scottsdale said for one driver, the closures created trouble.
Officer David Pubins said Phoenix resident Lawrence Martz, 55, was traveling at a high rate of speed near 68th Street and Thomas when an officer conducting traffic control stepped onto the road.
“He engaged the driver, who was pretty verbally abusive and very upset that this event was taking place and keeping him from traveling from Point A to Point B,” Pubins explained.
Pubins also said Martz was arrested and booked for reckless driving and disorderly conduct.
“The officer on the scene did say he was driving at a high rate of speed, higher than should have been for the area, and there were people around at the time,” Pubins said. “You have spectators and fans and those of that ilk watching the half marathon.”
Pubins said the incident did not impact the race. Find all the road closures here.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon