PHOENIX — Almost 2,000 Washington High School students had a life-changing experience Friday morning as police, firefighters and paramedics and rescue helicopters carried out a mock car-crash exercise.
The stunningly accurate scenario, at the 27th and Glendale avenues campus, featured a student driving drunk to the prom before slamming into another car, killing his girlfriend and another driver.
Alexandria Rios was one of the actresses in the setup. The high school senior lost her nephew in a crash. Fighting back tears, she said the exercise was painful but she felt she had to get the message across.
“It hurt a lot to be sitting in that scenario. It changed me. I love everybody at Washington and this is a great message and I hope the students take it to heart,” she said.
Students heard from a nurse who has told parents on many occasions that their child won’t be coming home.
Students sat in stunned silence as an employee from the County Medical Examiner’s Office explained, in graphic detail, how the staff handles with victims.
Car crashes are the leading cause of teenage death.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy