PHOENIX — Almost 2,000 Washington High School students had a life-changing experience Friday morning as police, firefighters and paramedics and rescue helicopters carried out a mock car-crash exercise.
The stunningly accurate scenario, at the 27th and Glendale avenues campus, featured a student driving drunk to the prom before slamming into another car, killing his girlfriend and another driver.
Alexandria Rios was one of the actresses in the setup. The high school senior lost her nephew in a crash. Fighting back tears, she said the exercise was painful but she felt she had to get the message across.
“It hurt a lot to be sitting in that scenario. It changed me. I love everybody at Washington and this is a great message and I hope the students take it to heart,” she said.
Students heard from a nurse who has told parents on many occasions that their child won’t be coming home.
Students sat in stunned silence as an employee from the County Medical Examiner’s Office explained, in graphic detail, how the staff handles with victims.
Car crashes are the leading cause of teenage death.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns