PHOENIX — Just seven months after the deadliest wildfire in Arizona history, the Kaibab National Forest will begin signing up summer firefighters Friday.
The forest will be hiring firefighters, lookouts and helitack crews. Sign-ups will be held over the next two weeks.
The Arizona Wildfire Academy in Prescott gets underway in March and the deaths of the 19 Granite Mountain Hotshots last summer in Yarnell loss doesn’t appear to be impacting interest.
“I believe people are still motivated to come out and become firefighters and do the job,” Academy Commander Tony Sciacca said.
Firefighters will be in demand. Sciacca heads up an elite Type 1 Incident Management team that battles the worst of the worst when it comes to wildfires across the west.
He said he’s concerned about the state’s upcoming fire season after seeing January wildfires blazing in California. Outside of a wet November, Mother Nature has not delivered for Arizona.
“When we get this late in the season, even if we get the snow and the rain, it doesn’t have enough time to soak in and I expect an average to above-average season if the drought continues,” Sciacca said.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns