PHOENIX — Just seven months after the deadliest wildfire in Arizona history, the Kaibab National Forest will begin signing up summer firefighters Friday.
The forest will be hiring firefighters, lookouts and helitack crews. Sign-ups will be held over the next two weeks.
The Arizona Wildfire Academy in Prescott gets underway in March and the deaths of the 19 Granite Mountain Hotshots last summer in Yarnell loss doesn’t appear to be impacting interest.
“I believe people are still motivated to come out and become firefighters and do the job,” Academy Commander Tony Sciacca said.
Firefighters will be in demand. Sciacca heads up an elite Type 1 Incident Management team that battles the worst of the worst when it comes to wildfires across the west.
He said he’s concerned about the state’s upcoming fire season after seeing January wildfires blazing in California. Outside of a wet November, Mother Nature has not delivered for Arizona.
“When we get this late in the season, even if we get the snow and the rain, it doesn’t have enough time to soak in and I expect an average to above-average season if the drought continues,” Sciacca said.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them