PHOENIX — Organizers of the 2014 P.F. Chang’s Rock n’ Roll Arizona Marathon and Half Marathon said they expected more than 24,000 runners for Sunday’s 11th annual race.
It’s the largest running event to take place in the Valley since two explosions went off at the Boston Marathon last year. Uncertainty and fear may set in for athletes at major events such as this race. A local events-security expert offered some tips for runners and spectators to help stay as safe as possible.
“The biggest thing is being aware of your surroundings, and giving more thought to what it is that you’re doing,” said Robb Corwin, CEO of Pride Group, Full Service Event Management Company.
When it comes to general safety during a large event, it starts with where to park.
Pick a well-lighted area with easy access to the race location, Corwin said. Avoid cutting through buildings and don’t leave valuables visible inside the car.
While on the course, Corwin recommended runners wear sunglasses. “You always want to protect your eyes,” he said.
Runners who stay in the center of the track can potentially remain away from dangers along the course. “Stay away from the edges, stay away from the crowds, away from mailboxes, from vehicles and buildings,” he said.
Finally, anyone at the race should let someone know where they are. Phone apps that share locations during the race can also help friends and family find each other in case of emergency.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.