PHOENIX — Organizers of the 2014 P.F. Chang’s Rock n’ Roll Arizona Marathon and Half Marathon said they expected more than 24,000 runners for Sunday’s 11th annual race.
It’s the largest running event to take place in the Valley since two explosions went off at the Boston Marathon last year. Uncertainty and fear may set in for athletes at major events such as this race. A local events-security expert offered some tips for runners and spectators to help stay as safe as possible.
“The biggest thing is being aware of your surroundings, and giving more thought to what it is that you’re doing,” said Robb Corwin, CEO of Pride Group, Full Service Event Management Company.
When it comes to general safety during a large event, it starts with where to park.
Pick a well-lighted area with easy access to the race location, Corwin said. Avoid cutting through buildings and don’t leave valuables visible inside the car.
While on the course, Corwin recommended runners wear sunglasses. “You always want to protect your eyes,” he said.
Runners who stay in the center of the track can potentially remain away from dangers along the course. “Stay away from the edges, stay away from the crowds, away from mailboxes, from vehicles and buildings,” he said.
Finally, anyone at the race should let someone know where they are. Phone apps that share locations during the race can also help friends and family find each other in case of emergency.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food