PHOENIX — Young people who are homeless in the Valley have a new place to go.
Ribbon-cutting ceremonies were held Thursday on the Tumbleweed Center for Youth Development’s new Emergency Housing Center. It has taken an old Travelodge Motel near 32nd Street and Van Buren and refurbished it into housing for homeless youth. They can stay there for 90 days while they try to get their life together.
One of those who is moving in is 22-year-old Benjamin Jensen, who has been homeless for the past five years. He said coming to the Tumbleweed Center is a life-changer for him.
“Now, I can go into a room and sleep on a bed that I haven’t slept on for five years,” he said. “I can leave my stuff in room. I don’t have to worry and actually take everything I have on my back.”
Jensen is also excited about other help that Tumbleweed is providing.
“They’re going to give me job leads, and then take me to those jobs,” he said. “They’re going to give me the bus card to get to my appointments. If I have a (job) interview, they’re going to give a bus card to get to that.”
Tumbleweed will also give residents access to education programs while they’re here.
There is one more hurdle to overcome: The hotel has not had electricity in recent months. Electricians are working to wire the building so that the power can be turned as soon as possible. The first residents will move in Friday.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon