PHOENIX — Young people who are homeless in the Valley have a new place to go.
Ribbon-cutting ceremonies were held Thursday on the Tumbleweed Center for Youth Development’s new Emergency Housing Center. It has taken an old Travelodge Motel near 32nd Street and Van Buren and refurbished it into housing for homeless youth. They can stay there for 90 days while they try to get their life together.
One of those who is moving in is 22-year-old Benjamin Jensen, who has been homeless for the past five years. He said coming to the Tumbleweed Center is a life-changer for him.
“Now, I can go into a room and sleep on a bed that I haven’t slept on for five years,” he said. “I can leave my stuff in room. I don’t have to worry and actually take everything I have on my back.”
Jensen is also excited about other help that Tumbleweed is providing.
“They’re going to give me job leads, and then take me to those jobs,” he said. “They’re going to give me the bus card to get to my appointments. If I have a (job) interview, they’re going to give a bus card to get to that.”
Tumbleweed will also give residents access to education programs while they’re here.
There is one more hurdle to overcome: The hotel has not had electricity in recent months. Electricians are working to wire the building so that the power can be turned as soon as possible. The first residents will move in Friday.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths