The Arizona Department of Transportation will finally move forward this year on many projects, some of them long-anticipated, and while there may be traffic headaches for awhile, it will all be worth it in the end.
Every project will be funded with federal and state highway funds, which are collected through gas taxes, vehicle license fees and auto registration fees, according to an ADOT press release.
The following projects will occur in the Phoenix area:
Loop 101 (Pima Freeway) in the Scottsdale area: Work is slated to begin in the fall. One new lane in each direction will be added along Loop 101 between Shea Boulevard and Loop 202.
Loop 303 between Interstate 10 and Grand Avenue (US 60): Turning Loop 303 into a six-lane freeway south of Grand Avenue will be completed later this year. The area between Camelback Road and Glendale Avenue should be finished by summer, the interchange south of McDowell Road in Goodyear by fall.
Loop 303 between Grand Avenue and Happy Valley Parkway in northwest Valley: Loop 303 will also be made into a six-lane freeway between Grand Avenue and Happy Valley. Work will start in the fall. There will also be a new interchange linking Loop 303 to El Mirage Rroad.
State Route 24 (Gateway Freeway) in southeast Mesa: By spring, the Loop 202 Santan Freeway will link to the first mile of S.R. 24.
New Loop 101 HOV-Lane Ramps near Westgate in Glendale: This project started last October and when it finishes this spring, it will have connected the ramps via Loop 101 HOV lanes to the center of the Maryland Avenue bridge near University of Phoenix Stadium.
Interstate 10 Interchange at Perryville Road in West Valley: Ground will be broken this spring on a project to add on- and off-ramps to provide an I-10 interchange at Perryville Road at the boundary between Goodyear and Buckeye.
Loop 202 South Mountain Freeway: The final statement for a proposed South Mountain Freeway will be released later this year, followed by a 60-day public review period. The freeway would run east and west along Pecos Road and then turn north between 55th and 63rd avenues, connecting with I-10 on each end.
The following project will affect the Tucson area:
Interstate 10 Widening (Ruthrauff to Prince roads in Tucson): Completion is nearing on a project to widen over two miles of I-10 between Ruthrauff and Prince roads. The freeway will become four lanes when the project ends this spring.
The following projects will occur in Northern Arizona:
US 89 Emergency Repair (Landslide near Bitter Springs): A Feb. 20, 2013 landslide closed the section of highway between Bitter Springs and Page and a detour was established. A $25 million emergency repair project will include shifting the roadway up slope and creating a gravity buttress at the base of the mountain.
Interstate 17 Climbing Lane (Copper Canyon): The first climbing lane built on I-17, located just south of Camp Verde, is scheduled to open this summer after breaking ground in early 2013.
US 89 Widening (Cameron): The project will begin in Coconino County and will expand US 89 from two lanes to four lanes through Cameron, about 50 miles north of Flagstaff.
State Route 89 Widening (Chino Valley): A five-mile stretch of SR 89 between Road 4 South in Chino Valley and Deep Well Ranch Road in Prescott will go from two lanes to a four-lane divided highway.
The following projects will occur in Southern Arizona:
US 95 San Luis Street Improvements: ADOT and the city of San Luis will start work this spring to improve traffic flow to and from the U.S./Mexico Port of Entry, enhance pedestrian safety and improve access to downtown businesses. It is slated to be completed by year’s end.
US 60 Widening (Silver King/Superior Streets): Late this year, the last remaining two-lane segment on US 60 between Phoenix and Superior will become a four-land divided highway.
State Route 90 (San Pedro Bridge): Early this year, work should be completed on replacing the San Pedro Bridge, which is east of Sierra Vista on SR 90.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick