PHOENIX — A Mesa kindergarten teacher was arrested Thursday on suspicion of removing a female kindergartner’s shirt in class, police said.
Thomas Washburn, 54, was teaching a kindergarten class at Adams Elementary School when a 6-year-old student became upset at him shouting at the class. The developmentally delayed student hid her face in her shirt.
When Washburn asked the student to take her face out of her shirt, she refused. He then allegedly removed her shirt — leaving her naked from the waist up — and did not allow her to put her shirt back on for about 10 minutes. She was eventually allowed to dress.
Washburn told the child’s mother what he had done at the end of the school day and she informed school officials, who in turn informed police.
Washburn was charged with child abuse and 25 counts of indecent exposure, one for each child in the room along with an adult aide.
A release from the school said Washburn was hired in 2006. He was placed on paid administrative leave after the charges were filed.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development