PHOENIX — Arizona’s emergency rooms did not test well on a report card from the American College of Emergency Physicians.
The state received an overall rank of D+ on the standard A through F grading system.
“Where we’ve fallen down and still struggle are two areas in particular: One is public health and injury prevention and the worst is access to emergency care,” said Dr. Nicholas Vazquez, an emergency room physician at Banner Gateway Hospital.
Arizona received a D+ in public health and injury prevention and an F to access to emergency care.
But those weren’t the state’s only problems.
“We’re bottom 10 in access to registered nurses and specialists such as ear, nose and throat specialists,” said Vazquez. “We have a huge unmet need for substance abuse counseling and treatment as well as very small number of psychiatric care beds relative to the demand.”
Vazquez said the problem is solvable, but would take a few different measures to correct.
“We need a lot more primary care providers,” he said, adding that there is also a shortage of registered nurses.
The personnel issues could be solved at the state level, however.
“We’d like to see public policy approach,” Vazquez said. “We’d like to see the Arizona people get behind solving this problem and ask our Legislature to improve funding for graduate medical education so we can get more people trained as nurses and specialists.”
Arizona also saw a decline in its disaster preparedness grade. In 2009, the state was given an A- grade. This year, it received a C.
The only bright spot on the report card was a B received for quality and patient safety environment.
To read the full report card, click here.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development