PHOENIX — Arizona’s emergency rooms did not test well on a report card from the American College of Emergency Physicians.
The state received an overall rank of D+ on the standard A through F grading system.
“Where we’ve fallen down and still struggle are two areas in particular: One is public health and injury prevention and the worst is access to emergency care,” said Dr. Nicholas Vazquez, an emergency room physician at Banner Gateway Hospital.
Arizona received a D+ in public health and injury prevention and an F to access to emergency care.
But those weren’t the state’s only problems.
“We’re bottom 10 in access to registered nurses and specialists such as ear, nose and throat specialists,” said Vazquez. “We have a huge unmet need for substance abuse counseling and treatment as well as very small number of psychiatric care beds relative to the demand.”
Vazquez said the problem is solvable, but would take a few different measures to correct.
“We need a lot more primary care providers,” he said, adding that there is also a shortage of registered nurses.
The personnel issues could be solved at the state level, however.
“We’d like to see public policy approach,” Vazquez said. “We’d like to see the Arizona people get behind solving this problem and ask our Legislature to improve funding for graduate medical education so we can get more people trained as nurses and specialists.”
Arizona also saw a decline in its disaster preparedness grade. In 2009, the state was given an A- grade. This year, it received a C.
The only bright spot on the report card was a B received for quality and patient safety environment.
To read the full report card, click here.
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again