The Phoenix Council voted to approve a $65,000 per year mutual agreement with the FBI to support the Child Exploitation Task Force.
“With the Super Bowl coming to the city in 2015, we see this (the game) as a great economic opportunity, but others see it as an opportunity to take advantage of our children,” said Phoenix Councilman Sal Diciccio.
The Super Bowl reportedly attracts more traffickers than any other event in the United States. Councilman Diciccio said it involves young kids, usually between the ages of 12 and 14.
“It’s a slave trade, and it’s happening right here in our city,” he said.
The $65,000 per year mutual agreement is capped at $135,000 and is designed to work hand-in-hand with local police, addressing the sex trade and exploitation of children.
“We’re going to be looking at putting together the best proposal in the country dealing with human trafficking, and the message is going to be really clear: Not with our children, not in our community and not in our city,” said DiCiccio.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns