TEMPE, Ariz. — A tribute to American pop culture is coming to Tempe.
The Gallery at the Tempe Center for the Arts is getting ready for “American Pop,” an art exhibit that is a salute to popular things that people love and collect. Everything from photographs to statues to comic books will be there when the exhibit opens Friday night.
Gallery coordinator Michelle Nichols Dock said Valley business and art leaders were asked what they loved as a kid and what they love today.
“What we heard was that they grew up watching ‘Star Trek’ episodes, ‘Looney Tunes,’ Marvin the Martian, and Batman,” said Dock. “Today, they still collect Batman toys and still go to Batman movies.”
In fact, an entire wall of the exhibit is dedicated to the 1960’s “Batman” TV show, with autographed pictures of Adam West, Burt Ward, Burgess Meredith and other stars of the popular show. The Batmobile that was sold at last year’s Barrett-Jackson auto auction will also be on display for Friday’s opening night.
Dock said there are lots of other things to see.
“We’ve got moon images, Marvin Martian, Fantastic Four, and all of these things,” said Dock. “What brings it together is that we’ve got little vignettes in the exhibition.”
Each vignette represents the particular interests of one of the people who responded to Dock’s survey. One of them is Tempe librarian Ralph Brown.
“He’s an avid collector of comic books,” Dock said. “He grew up on them and is an avid collector. He’s also writing us a really nice essay on the love of popular culture and comic books,” Dock said.
The exhibit runs through June 8th and admission is free. For more information, go to Tempe.gov.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon