TEMPE, Ariz. — A tribute to American pop culture is coming to Tempe.
The Gallery at the Tempe Center for the Arts is getting ready for “American Pop,” an art exhibit that is a salute to popular things that people love and collect. Everything from photographs to statues to comic books will be there when the exhibit opens Friday night.
Gallery coordinator Michelle Nichols Dock said Valley business and art leaders were asked what they loved as a kid and what they love today.
“What we heard was that they grew up watching ‘Star Trek’ episodes, ‘Looney Tunes,’ Marvin the Martian, and Batman,” said Dock. “Today, they still collect Batman toys and still go to Batman movies.”
In fact, an entire wall of the exhibit is dedicated to the 1960’s “Batman” TV show, with autographed pictures of Adam West, Burt Ward, Burgess Meredith and other stars of the popular show. The Batmobile that was sold at last year’s Barrett-Jackson auto auction will also be on display for Friday’s opening night.
Dock said there are lots of other things to see.
“We’ve got moon images, Marvin Martian, Fantastic Four, and all of these things,” said Dock. “What brings it together is that we’ve got little vignettes in the exhibition.”
Each vignette represents the particular interests of one of the people who responded to Dock’s survey. One of them is Tempe librarian Ralph Brown.
“He’s an avid collector of comic books,” Dock said. “He grew up on them and is an avid collector. He’s also writing us a really nice essay on the love of popular culture and comic books,” Dock said.
The exhibit runs through June 8th and admission is free. For more information, go to Tempe.gov.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier