PHOENIX — Kids have been playing ball in the South Mountain Little League in Phoenix since 1953, and now the league needs some help.
Two years after parents replaced bats, balls and other equipment that were stolen, vandals have struck the league again.
Board member Michael Martinez, Sr. said the vandals stole items from several fields.
“Fencing from the tee-balls and the minor fields, backstops, dugouts and outfields [was stolen],” said Martinez. “They also stole three or four complete sets of aluminum bleachers.”
The thefts were discovered in November.
Martinez said the first time that he and his son went to check out the damage was tough.
“My son actually saw the field, and the look in his eyes just broke my heart,” Martinez said. “He almost welled up with tears because he remembers the field when he played on it.”
The league is asking for donations to raise over $40,000 for much-needed repairs, in order to get the field ready in time for the start of baseball season in March. A few businesses have already stepped up to help.
“Domino’s [Pizza] on Seventh Street and Baseline and Home Depot at 51st Avenue and Baseline have pledged to help us,” Martinez said.
The Big 5 Sporting Goods store at 35th Avenue and Baseline is also helping by allowing a group from the Little League organization to come to the store this Saturday to sign kids up for this summer’s season.
A Little League in Anthem is also pledging help.
“One of the biggest supporters and the first call I got was from Ron Weber at High Desert Little League,” said Martinez. “He said ‘We’re a baseball community. Let’s help each other.’ He’s pledged to help us reorganize, help us with equipment and help us with whatever we need.”
An account has been set up for tax-deductible donations at Wells Fargo Bank. The account number is 5495534942. You can also contact Martinez to donate at (480) 228-5784 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.