PHOENIX — Kids have been playing ball in the South Mountain Little League in Phoenix since 1953, and now the league needs some help.
Two years after parents replaced bats, balls and other equipment that were stolen, vandals have struck the league again.
Board member Michael Martinez, Sr. said the vandals stole items from several fields.
“Fencing from the tee-balls and the minor fields, backstops, dugouts and outfields [was stolen],” said Martinez. “They also stole three or four complete sets of aluminum bleachers.”
The thefts were discovered in November.
Martinez said the first time that he and his son went to check out the damage was tough.
“My son actually saw the field, and the look in his eyes just broke my heart,” Martinez said. “He almost welled up with tears because he remembers the field when he played on it.”
The league is asking for donations to raise over $40,000 for much-needed repairs, in order to get the field ready in time for the start of baseball season in March. A few businesses have already stepped up to help.
“Domino’s [Pizza] on Seventh Street and Baseline and Home Depot at 51st Avenue and Baseline have pledged to help us,” Martinez said.
The Big 5 Sporting Goods store at 35th Avenue and Baseline is also helping by allowing a group from the Little League organization to come to the store this Saturday to sign kids up for this summer’s season.
A Little League in Anthem is also pledging help.
“One of the biggest supporters and the first call I got was from Ron Weber at High Desert Little League,” said Martinez. “He said ‘We’re a baseball community. Let’s help each other.’ He’s pledged to help us reorganize, help us with equipment and help us with whatever we need.”
An account has been set up for tax-deductible donations at Wells Fargo Bank. The account number is 5495534942. You can also contact Martinez to donate at (480) 228-5784 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon