PHOENIX — When it comes to well-managed cities, Scottsdale, Ariz. is one of the best, a report said.
According to 247wallst.com, Scottsdale is the sixth-best run city in the United States.
The report cited Scottsdale’s high “typical household income” of $72,102 — about $20,000 more than the national median income — as a reason for the city being run well. It also helps that 95 percent of those earners had a high school diploma, again above the national average.
Crime and poverty rates in the city are relatively low when compared to other large cities.
The city’s credit is rated Aaa by Moody’s. The agency lists the city’s wealth and strong fiscal management as reasons for its perfect rating. Like many Arizona cities, Scottsdale was hit hard by the housing crisis. Home prices fell by 23% between 2008 and 2012, compared to a 12.9% decline nationally. However, Scottsdale’s foreclosure rate was considerably better than those of Phoenix, Tucson, and many other major cities in the Southwest.
Overall, the best run city was Irvine, Calif., followed by Fremont, Calif, Plano, Texas, Lincoln, Neb. and Virginia Beach, Va., respectively.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development