PHOENIX — The fourth suspect in the New Year’s Eve shooting of a Phoenix police officer and Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office Posse volunteer has been arrested, the Phoenix Police Department said Wednesday.
William Herbert Mayes, 30, was arrested in New York City on an warrant for conspiracy to commit armed robbery.
Mayes was allegedly one of four men who committed an armed robbery on Dec. 31. They were spotted by Phoenix Police Officer Scott Sefranka, who followed the suspect vehicle until the driver was involved in an accident.
After the crash, Sefranka struggled with a suspect, Roger Allen Sharp, who allegedly wrestled the officer’s gun away and shot Sefranka and Phillip Grigg, an MCSO volunteer posse member who was trying to help the officer.
Police said that Sefranka has been released from the hospital. Grigg is still being treated, but is showing signs of improvement.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon