PHOENIX — The fourth suspect in the New Year’s Eve shooting of a Phoenix police officer and Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office Posse volunteer has been arrested, the Phoenix Police Department said Wednesday.
William Herbert Mayes, 30, was arrested in New York City on an warrant for conspiracy to commit armed robbery.
Mayes was allegedly one of four men who committed an armed robbery on Dec. 31. They were spotted by Phoenix Police Officer Scott Sefranka, who followed the suspect vehicle until the driver was involved in an accident.
After the crash, Sefranka struggled with a suspect, Roger Allen Sharp, who allegedly wrestled the officer’s gun away and shot Sefranka and Phillip Grigg, an MCSO volunteer posse member who was trying to help the officer.
Police said that Sefranka has been released from the hospital. Grigg is still being treated, but is showing signs of improvement.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck