PHOENIX — The Tonto National Forest needs help for a massive clean-up effort this weekend.
About 300 volunteers are needed to beautify the Salt River.
Each year, during the month of January, the water is low enough for volunteers to step in and help clean it up.
“We are trying to get folks out to help us cleanup debris and trash buildup that has accrued over the last year,” said Patricia Bean, Partnership Liason on the Mesa district for the Tonto National Forest. “It’s a normal occurrence and so, once a year, we try to go out and clean up.”
In order to prepare the Salt River for a busy season of tourism, the Annual Lower Salt River Clean-Up will take place on Saturday, Jan. 18 from 8 a.m. to noon.
“We ask folks to wear closed-toed shoes and rubber soles,” said Bean.
Volunteers will be stepping on rocky terrain and even in the water. To deal with the heat and sun exposure, Bean reminded volunteers to wear hats and sunscreen.
Sign-in will take place at the Blue Point Recreation site, 20 miles northeast of Mesa. For more details on how to volunteer, click here.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier