PHOENIX — The Tonto National Forest needs help for a massive clean-up effort this weekend.
About 300 volunteers are needed to beautify the Salt River.
Each year, during the month of January, the water is low enough for volunteers to step in and help clean it up.
“We are trying to get folks out to help us cleanup debris and trash buildup that has accrued over the last year,” said Patricia Bean, Partnership Liason on the Mesa district for the Tonto National Forest. “It’s a normal occurrence and so, once a year, we try to go out and clean up.”
In order to prepare the Salt River for a busy season of tourism, the Annual Lower Salt River Clean-Up will take place on Saturday, Jan. 18 from 8 a.m. to noon.
“We ask folks to wear closed-toed shoes and rubber soles,” said Bean.
Volunteers will be stepping on rocky terrain and even in the water. To deal with the heat and sun exposure, Bean reminded volunteers to wear hats and sunscreen.
Sign-in will take place at the Blue Point Recreation site, 20 miles northeast of Mesa. For more details on how to volunteer, click here.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy