PHOENIX — The Tonto National Forest needs help for a massive clean-up effort this weekend.
About 300 volunteers are needed to beautify the Salt River.
Each year, during the month of January, the water is low enough for volunteers to step in and help clean it up.
“We are trying to get folks out to help us cleanup debris and trash buildup that has accrued over the last year,” said Patricia Bean, Partnership Liason on the Mesa district for the Tonto National Forest. “It’s a normal occurrence and so, once a year, we try to go out and clean up.”
In order to prepare the Salt River for a busy season of tourism, the Annual Lower Salt River Clean-Up will take place on Saturday, Jan. 18 from 8 a.m. to noon.
“We ask folks to wear closed-toed shoes and rubber soles,” said Bean.
Volunteers will be stepping on rocky terrain and even in the water. To deal with the heat and sun exposure, Bean reminded volunteers to wear hats and sunscreen.
Sign-in will take place at the Blue Point Recreation site, 20 miles northeast of Mesa. For more details on how to volunteer, click here.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night