PHOENIX — Arizona state lawmakers are returning to the state capitol this week to deal with the challenges facing the state, but one state lawmaker is overcoming her own challenges while she gets back on the job.
Doris Goodale, 64, is a Republican state representative from Kingman, who is the chair of the House Education Committee.
She suffered a major crisis last September.
“I had a stroke on September 29th,” Goodale said. “It was due to a blocked carotid artery and a high cholesterol level.”
Not to mention stress.
In addition to a pressure-packed legislative session, her husband of 38 years passed away. The Phoenix New Times also reported that in 2012, Kingman police arrested her son and daughter for heroin trafficking.
Goodale said she is working hard to recover.
“I am attending physical, occupational and speech therapy three times a week and just fighting hard to get back,” said Goodale.
Goodale used to drive herself to Phoenix for the legislative session, but now she’ll rely on family members to bring her. She vowed that the condition won’t cause her to miss any votes.
“I’m looking forward to this,” Goodale said. “I’m working on a drug prescription bill that I think is very important to our state.”
That bill would require doctors to asses a patient’s addiction risk before writing a prescription for certain drugs.
“I’m a hard charger. I don’t just sit back. I keep going,” she said.
Goodale said she is getting a lot of help from a photograph of Todd Graham, head football coach at Arizona State University. Before the stroke, Graham posed for a picture with her and wrote, “Be determined and stick with it.” Her sister brought that picture to the hospital and it serves as inspiration for her.
Not only is Goodale heading back to the legislature this year, but she also plans to run for re-election.
“I am very honored being a state representative. I love Arizona, and I am very honored to help Arizona,” she said.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food